Publications Describing Device
Model C was a stellarator built and operated at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL). The device's design and implementation planning began in 1954 and started operations in March 1962.
Model C was the biggest of a series of stellarators that marked the beginning of fusion research at Princeton. It had a racetrack-like geometry with two semicircular sections with helical windings connected with two straight segments, one that contained a divertor and the other contained 4 MW of ion cyclotron resonance heating. Even though Model C represented a major upgrade in comparison with models A and B, it did not achieve the expected temperature and confinement results for which it was designed.
Finally, in 1969, Model C stopped operations and was converted into a tokamak geometry, changing its name to Symmetric Tokamak (ST).
1962 - 1969